I love having a full class of students. But first they need to know my class exists. I’m continuously frustrated with how poorly my own club promotes the Indoor Cycling classes we offer. Based on comments offering similar frustrations, I’m guessing that I’m not the only one.
So why not take a few minutes to do a little self-promotion?
The other day a received a request from an ICI/PRO member to join FourSquare, the social media site where you can check in, so other people know where to find you. Like Yelp, FourSquare acts as a search engine to find where there friends are, in the hope to meet up with them. You can also leave and read reviews there. I hadn’t spent any time there so I decided to check it out to see what I could do with it to promote my class. At first I thought that only actual businesses could create a listing. Instead I discovered you can create a listing for anything that is an actual place, even if you don’t technically own or manage the facility. I saw listings for specific seat rows at a concert, events in a local park and even a listing for a specific airline flight to Europe – maybe they were interested in who they would be sitting next to for eight hours.
It was very easy and here’s how you can create your listing (s) – there’s no reason not to create a listing for each of your classes.
- Signup with FourSquare using this link.
- Log in and search for your class in the search box.
- It will probably not show your listing – no problem 🙂
- Scroll down to the bottom and find: Don’t see the place you’re looking for? Add a new venue to foursquare
- In the name field I suggest; Your Name, Time/Date and the Key Words that describe your class.
- In the address field; Club Name and address.
- Then fill out the other fields – you may want to use the club’s phone number.
- Click save when completed.
- You will then see your new listing. Check that the marker on the map is in the correct place. If it’s not you can click and drag it to the proper location.
Now when anyone searches for a Spin class near Minnetonka, MN they will find:
If you do try this, let me know what happens.
John is a member on the AFS (Association of Fitness Studios) Advisory Council.
Holding certifications from; Schwinn, Heart Zones, Team ICG and Life Time Fitness, John's held regularly scheduled cycling classes between 1998 and 2015 when he moved to Florida.
When the weather permits, you'll find him riding and leading outdoor groups by himself or with his Tandem partner (wife) Amy.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- Cycling Studio For Sale in Marietta, GA - October 26, 2016
- ICI/PRO Podcast 231 “The Gate” Halloween Mixed Ride Audio PROfile From Kim Moody - October 26, 2016
- Options for finding the BPM (beats per minute) for any song - October 19, 2016