I found an easy to use iPhone App that will identify the key of a song for you. This $1.99 App is called Key+ (info here) and it will determine the key of any unprotected song on your iPhone/iPad – or – it will listen to a song played from another source, like Spotify!
I found this super easy to use. Opening the Key+ App shows you a minimum number of options:
- At the top you can choose how long you want Key+ to sample; 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds. I couldn't see any difference in results, although I'm learning that some songs change Key at some point in the song.
- The three horizontal bars takes you to previously sampled tracks from your iTunes music App. NOTE: this list is only shows previous samples from iTunes music – not from when you use the mic to listen with Spotify or Deezer.
- The little iPhone icon takes you to your iTunes music App. NOTE: Key+ can't sample any tracks that are protected AAC files.
- Click the microphone icon to begin listening to an external source, like a song from Spotify playing on your computer.
Unfortunately you can't have the two Apps (Key+ & Spotify/Deezer) open at once – so you need a second source to sample anything other than from iTunes.
The awesome folks at Mixed in Key sent us demo downloads of their software to play with. I'm learning the PC version and Chris Hawthorne has a copy of the Mac version – more when we've had a chance to dig into it.
John is a member on the AFS (Association of Fitness Studios) Advisory Council.
Holding certifications from; Schwinn, Heart Zones, Team ICG and Life Time Fitness, John's held regularly scheduled cycling classes between 1998 and 2015 when he moved to Florida.
When the weather permits, you'll find him riding and leading outdoor groups by himself or with his Tandem partner (wife) Amy.
Latest posts by John (see all)
- ICI Podcast 5 Ten steps to building up your class numbers. - February 13, 2019
- ICI Podcast 4 Metabolic Testing The Difference Between Knowing and Guessing - February 8, 2019
- Myth #9 of Indoor Cycle Rider Setup / Bike Fit - January 10, 2019