In this Video Profile Tom Scotto takes us through a progression of drills for teaching Explosive Power Sprints. Because the total time on this would be > 30 minutes I have broken it into 3 parts.
Part 1 focuses on coaching proper and safe form in what Tom calls...Form Sprints. Listen very carefully to Tom's intro where he describes; "You are responsible and accountable as the Instructor to know this well, to teach it well and cue it well."
Part 2 coming next week is building Form Sprints into Explosive Power Sprints
Part 3 brings both of these together into the big finish of a bike race; Criterium Sprints
NOTE: This series of four highly educational video profiles for ICI/PRO members only are filling in for the audio PROfiles for the end of July and mid-August. Your next audio PROfile will be towards the end of August.
- Please come back to my class! - May 30, 2023
- My Life Time Instructor Teach Back - May 24, 2023
- I'm Fine, Thanks - May 21, 2023
On podcast #106 (and on FB!), Jennifer mentioned that she’d done Tom’s Explosive Power Intervals class, and had used about 75% of his music. I recall her saying she’d post her playlist here on ICI, but I can’t find it. Am I not looking in the right place? Or, will you post it if you haven’t already?
Thanks! I’m gearing up to return (slowly!) to teaching after my unexpectedly dramatic July. My turn to try some teaching off the bike!
Oops, I will check that tomorrow and post it. My mistake! I’ll post it right here, so check back.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes Shari! Here is my Playlist for the Explosive Power profile. I taught it exactly as Tom presented it. He changed my view of sprints completely – I rarely ever did them. I still wont’ do them often, but when I do, it will be in a class like this, based on PROPER application of Explosive Power, and once I know my students know how to do them very well, I’ll sprinkle them more often into racing profiles. But this baseline class is absolutely essential for any instructor (and student) who wants to really benefit from explosive efforts.
– Cruisin’, Peter Mergener, Cruisin, 6:05 (warm-up)
– Bramfeld, Scooter, Push the Beat for This Jam, 5:21 (ohhhhh, Scooter is a bit hectic for my tastes, but it works well for the accelerations. My class laughed at this song!)
– I’ve Got a Xerox to Copy, Junkie XL, Today, 5:56
– Talk to Me, Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes, 3:51 (recovery)
– Rail Yard, Junkie XL, Music from SSX Blur, 4:37
– Drink Me Hot, Chris Joss, You’ve Been Spiked, 3:53
– Busy Child, The Crustal Method, Vegas, 7:25
– Fine Day, Kirsty Hawkshaw 3:40 (recovery – not sure where I got this song)
– Children of the Night, Juno Reactor, Bible of Dreams, 7:56 (this song works so well for the attacks/sprints on the hill)
– Happy Dreamer, Laidback, Hotel Costes X, 6:09 (c/d)
– Horizon, Morgan Page, Drifting Into View, 5:20 (c/d)
Awesome! Thank you so much, Jennifer! 🙂