I found an easy to use iPhone App that will identify the key of a song for you. This $1.99 App is called Key+ (info here) and it will determine the key of any unprotected song on your iPhone/iPad - or - it will listen to a song played from another source, like Spotify!
I found this super easy to use. Opening the Key+ App shows you a minimum number of options:
- At the top you can choose how long you want Key+ to sample; 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds. I couldn't see any difference in results, although I'm learning that some songs change Key at some point in the song.
- The three horizontal bars takes you to previously sampled tracks from your iTunes music App. NOTE: this list is only shows previous samples from iTunes music - not from when you use the mic to listen with Spotify or Deezer.
- The little iPhone icon takes you to your iTunes music App. NOTE: Key+ can't sample any tracks that are protected AAC files.
- Click the microphone icon to begin listening to an external source, like a song from Spotify playing on your computer.
Unfortunately you can't have the two Apps (Key+ & Spotify/Deezer) open at once - so you need a second source to sample anything other than from iTunes.
The awesome folks at Mixed in Key sent us demo downloads of their software to play with. I'm learning the PC version and Chris Hawthorne has a copy of the Mac version - more when we've had a chance to dig into it.
Originally posted 2013-11-01 08:01:53.
- What are the top three reasons for people joining a health club? - December 5, 2023
- We're Screaming for a Standardized Language - December 2, 2023
- ICI Podcast 38 Monetize your passion for Indoor Cycling and turn it into cash Pt 1 - November 26, 2023