Today was my scheduled Teach Back and I passed!
If you teach for Life Time Fitness you are required to demonstrate that you understand how to teach a proper Studio Cycle class. Our Teach Back today was to follow our "Speed" profile and we had only about 12 minutes to complete:
- A short warm-up & introduction to the class
- Have everyone qualify AT
- Teach a short segment
I taught the intro of my Grand Canyon ride (link to the Audio Class PROfile)
What did I do right?
- I feel having a "Theme" for the class, in this case a metaphor for AT (standing at the edge of the canyon), showed I was prepared and wasn't simply "winging it".
- I came early so I could get warmed up before my turn = it was much easier to talk.
What did I do wrong?
- I tried to squeeze too much into the 12 minutes I had available, while wishing I had more time.
- Didn't really emphasise that first real time when everyone was supposed to be at AT.
- I didn't get off the bike. I had too much profile and not enough time, so my scheduled walk around didn't happen.
- Your GF Dept Head should be sending you a copy of the Studio Cycle Teach Back Evaluation Form. It identifies the 7 Compulsory Elements you will be judged on. Learn them, Love Them & Live Then 🙂
- Get there early so you can get warmed up (not have to start cold) and connect with a few of the other Instructors before your turn. That way you will have someone to make eye contact with, making everything go so much more smoothly.
- Use four, 3 minute songs. My second song was 11 minutes long. Perfect for the actual class, but too long for the teach back.
Here's my playlist in Spotify.
Good luck with yours!
Originally posted 2012-09-10 17:36:52.
- Please come back to my class! - May 30, 2023
- My Life Time Instructor Teach Back - May 24, 2023
- I'm Fine, Thanks - May 21, 2023
Thanks for sharing the pros and the cons….especially the cons…you rock