This Podcast is was originally published in 2008, I have updated it with our new Podcast host information and I am representing it now. I hope you enjoy it, Joey
Dr. Alinda Perrine, O.D., M.P.H. and Red Jersey / Master Trainer with Heart Zones USA conducted the Level 1 & 2 Indoor Cycling certification programs I completed during the Active Healthy Living conference this past weekend. I felt the program was very well presented and would prepare a new instructor to teach a very effective class.
Alinda is a true cyclist. She and her husband operate Free Spirit Adventures in Caldwell, West Virginia and she recently completed a "Ride Across America" with another ride planned for next year.
What I liked best was the emphasis on Training (which is measurable) vs. Exercising (which tends to be just wasting your time).
The majority of the Indoor Cycling certification class revolved around Heart Rate training:
- Instructing your participants on how to know if their body is prepared for exercise through a "Delta" test - Listen to the Podcast and see this link for more information.
- Proper techniques for conducting sub maximal tests to determine Max or Threshold Heart Rates
- Lots of discussion about Heart Rate specific class profiles.
Listen to the Podcast below for additional details or subscribe using iTunes or Zune.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Originally posted 2019-03-24 09:00:52.
- Please come back to my class! - May 30, 2023
- My Life Time Instructor Teach Back - May 24, 2023
- I'm Fine, Thanks - May 21, 2023
I take a beta blocker (atenolol) for heart rate and blood pressure control. I also spin 3 to 4 times a week. I am trying to find some statistics for what effects on heart rates these meds have. I like to try to ride the profiles dictated by the instructors but I feel I’m over-exerting myself. Any suggestions on info regarding this?