It began as the dream of many Instructors - starting your own fitness business. Charles (Spook) Hilgartner made his dream real by opening the first dedicated indoor cycling studio in the Baltimore Metropolitan area. It was very sad to hear that InSync Cycle Studio closed.
Spooks final note from their website...
On a personal note:
For the past three years, I have enjoyed the challenge of creating and operating InSync. I have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting and greeting hundreds of riders and making some special friends.This, I will really miss.
But what happened in the studio, during class was really incredible. We have had the best instructors! Their teaching skills and unique styles, music and personalities created an amazing cycling environment that all of us have enjoyed. I thank them for that.
It”™s the combination, of instructors and dedicated riders, that has made InSync Cycle Studio a pretty good place to ride.
I've known Spook since before InSync and appreciated his agreement to be interviewed on the Podcast. Our intent is to help other existing (and potential) cycling studio owners. We discuss his thoughts and feelings about what he did right... and what he did wrong.
Two main points surfaced during our conversation:
- Spook's experiences reinforced the absolute importance of having quality Instructors + a bench of available substitutes.
- He feels he would have benefited by having a partner with complimentary skills to his.
I wasn't previously aware of this regulatory issue > Depending on your studio's pricing model, your state or city may require you to secure bonding to protect customers who purchase ride cards with future expiration dates. Spook explains this need for bonding during the interview.
Looking for a used studio sound system? You can contact Spook 444-722-5433 or Spook@indoorcycleinstructor.com
Originally posted 2017-10-31 09:00:42.
- ICI Podcast 51 ACE Promotes Safe Effective Indoor Cycling Classes - December 5, 2021
- ICI/PRO Podcast #113 Explosive Power pt 3 – Video PROfile with Tom Scotto from Stage 5 Cycling - December 2, 2021
- Heart Rate and FTP Zone Calculators - November 26, 2021